Mama's Own Voice Telling Her Recipe for Sponge Cake while I make it for YOU!

Likes: 2090 – Dislikes: 18

WANT TO BUY A COOKBOOK? ) visit our website at:

NOW FOR THIS FAMILY RECIPE:
Mama’s Blue Ribbon Sponge Cake
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
Sift above ingredients together in a very large bowl.
6 EGGS
1/4 CUP WATER
1 TSP. VANILLA EXTRACT
1/4 CUP SUGAR
1 TEASPOON CREAM OF TARTAR
Separate eggs into 2 different bowls. On low speed add 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cream of tartar to egg whites then turn up to full speed and beat until high peaks form and it looks glossy. Set these whites to the side.
Now beat the egg yellows, water and vanilla until very foamy and frothy. Add dry ingredients slowly to yellows and beat on high until creamy.
Put whites in the large bowl the dry ingredients were in. Pour yellows over whites and then FOLD DO NOT STIR with a spatula until all of the whites are evenly distributed in batter.
Pour batter into a dry (not greased) tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Take cake out and let it sit upside down to cool. Take a spatula and go around the edges between cake and pan to release it from the sides. Once it lets go separate it from the bottom and flute of the pan with a flat spatula.
This cake is low in sugar and has no oils! It is so delicious with fresh strawberries.
Mama’s Sponge cake was very special to us. She made them every summer to go with Strawberries and Cool Whip! My mama LOVED cool whip! She was so proud of the blue ribbons she won with this cake. I got the footage for this video over a year ago on a good day for mama. She had dementia and so that day I was so that day I had made a homemade Angel Food cake and she wanted me to make her a sponge cake! Mama passed 6/4/2019.
make cake
southern,cooks,homemade,fashioned,timey,white lily,country,cooking,living,hillbilly,kitchen,Appalachian,recipes,simple,family,real,easy,collard valley cooks,cvc,classic,50’s,60’s,70’s,mama,how to cook,basic,buttery,tasty,flavor,creamy,ingredients,Paula Deen,Huckabee,Mustang Medic,Perry Stone,Scrumdiddlyumptious,In the Kitchen With Gina Young,American Events,Living Traditions Homestead,Jamerrill Steward Large Family Table

46 thoughts on “[NEW] Mama's Own Voice Telling Her Recipe for Sponge Cake while I make it for YOU! 2020

1. Brenda Cardinali says:

So precious was this video of your mother and the sponge cake that would love to have some but too much work for my one functional hand!! Don’t guess you make, sell, & send any of those cakes thru the mail??
    I want to be the first one on the list when & if you do❤️

2. Mary Albritton says:

Hi Tammy, I watch your channel a lot. Tonight I watched the video of your mom and had to write and thank you. How blessed you must feel to have this video of your mom. I feel like you helped a lot of people who are missing their mom and Mother's Day is this Sunday. Hugs to you Tammy. This took a lot of strength to put this out there. Love to you and Chris. I don't cook much anymore but have learned a lot watching you. My husband watches also and I just told him the other day I had never seen anybody move so quick in the kitchen as you do. You got it girl. I wish you and your family well. Mary

3. Linda Lagarce says:

Awe, big hugs. My momma passed away in 2001 with as dementia and Alzheimer’s as well. She developed it very young, I was 125 and she was in her 40’s. She was an excellent cook and always cooked from scratch. Always cherish this memory, 8 wished I had one too.

4. up too late says:

You did a great job of holding it together, Tammy. I have strawberries growing this spring that I planted from slips just last year. A first for me. I will make your momma's sponge cake in her and my momma's memory this weekend. As this was my mother's favorite dessert.

5. Pamela Prescott says:

To me this was a wonderful video. You're so lucky to have your mama's face and voice for ever to cherish. She had such a sweet voice. My mother also died from Alzheimer's but like your mother she never did forget who I was I'm so thankful for that. I miss her so much as I know you do. God bless you sweetheart.The cake looks so good.❤

6. tmt says:

Rs Laurie,,from whipper will holler,,said this such a good video,,you and her somewhat alike….I see how you loved your mama….it's hard loosing close. Loved one… tomorrow,,may 5/2020, died at 38 years old…I will be praying for you, who so loved her mama,Mrs Lorie,,who never knew her mom,,and me,,whoisses my son so much….

7. nancy newsome says:

Tammy this brings me back to days long ago at Bellview listening to your Granddaddy preach and your sweet Mother singing a solo on Sunday morning! She had a beautiful voice! We watched you, your sister and brothers grow up! You do Lucille and Iva proud! 🥰

8. wordvendor1 says:

That looks great! You were so fortunate to have her so lucid that day! Hugs 💜 My mom couldn't speak due to her stroke. I lost dad in June and mom in August, both 2019. They would have been married 70 years in January 2020. God brought my sunshine on July 30, 2019, my babygirl granddaughter, Laney Jo, at the exact moment I needed her. 🤗

9. Cheryl Shipley says:

This is just precious! I grew up between Taylorsville and Euharlee, and lived in Aragon for a while. I had friends in Antioch. My son and his family live in north Cedartown, now. Every video of CVC is just like I remember from my family. Thank you so much!!!