HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB WALNUT CARROT CAKE – SOFT, MOIST, FLAVORFUL & DELICIOUS !
Likes: 524 – Dislikes: 5
Walnuts goes so well with carrot cake so making this cake with walnut meal takes it up to the next level. It is so good – soft, moist, flavorful and delicious. This is also a great dessert for Christmas.
Walnuts and almonds have quite similar nutrition and carb content. But walnut is the only nut that contains the “plant version” of omega-3 fatty acids, a substance known as ALA, which reduces inflammation in the body. So that is a good enough reason to use walnuts as a low carb flour. As walnut flour is not easily available, we have to grind it ourselves which is quite challenging. Walnuts have a high fat content so the moisture makes it difficult to grind by itself and easily turns into a paste or butter. Hence, I added some coconut flour to absorb the excess oil and make it easier to grind. The final texture is quite coarse so it’s actually walnut meal, not flour. It is also quite hard to grind the nuts completely but the good news is that some of the ungrounded nuts makes a good addition to the bread by providing the extra crunch.
The recipe can be viewed and printed at this link:
(Note : This is a guide only. If you have a more accurate macro calculator app, please refer to it)
[ Total servings = 12 ] Per serving ;
Total Carb = 6.5 g
Dietary Fiber = 3.4 g
Net Carb = 3.1 g
Calories = 408
Total Fat = 39.1 g
Protein = 9.4 g
DRY INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
Walnut Meal = 240 g / 2 cups
Coconut flour = 60 g / 1/2 cup
Baking Powder = 12 g / 3 tsp (If using double acting, reduce amount by half)
Salt = 4 g / 1 tsp
Erythritol or any keto friendly sweetener = 100 g / 1/2 cup
Ground Cinnamon = 16 g / 4 tsp
All Spice = 12 g / 3 tsp
Grated carrots = 115 g / 1 cup
Chopped walnuts = 60 g / 1/2 cup
Note : You can replace the walnut meal with 2 Almond flour options as follows;
1. Almond flour = 240 g / 2 cups
Coconut flour = 60 g / 1/2 cup
2. Almond flour = 360 g / 3 cups (without coconut flour)
Eggs = 5 large whole eggs
Melted Butter = 60 ml / 1/4 cup (OR Coconut oil)
Whipping Cream = 240 ml / 1 cup (Note: You can replace with coconut cream, yogurt or sour cream)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Cream Cheese (softened) = 350 g / 1 1/2 cup
Zest = 1 lemon (optional)
Erythritol Powdered Sweetener = 100 g / 1/2 cup (Note: You can grind the granulated sweetener until powdery. You can also choose to use the granulated sweeteners except that it may taste a little grainy especially after the cake is refrigerated)
Note: Using a hand held or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and sweetener until light and fluffy. Then add the lemon zest (if using) and mix to combine. Set aside. You can chill it in the fridge if not using immediately.
TO MAKE THE WALNUT MEAL
If you can get hold of pre ground Walnut Flour (which is not easily available), you can use that too.
Otherwise, you can easily grind the raw walnuts yourself with the following steps;
1. Use a seed, bean, nut or multi grinder as they are the most effective. I have received feedbacks that the following works too ;
(b) Cuisinart food processor
(c) Table top drum grater with the fine cheese drum
2. It is not necessary to roast the raw walnuts before grinding.
3. Place half the walnuts into the grinder with half of the coconut flour. The reason we grind together with coconut flour is that walnuts have a high fat content so grinding it alone can easily turn to butter. So adding the coconut flour helps to absorb the excess oil so it’s easier to grind. Pulse (DO NOT BLEND !) 3 times for a few seconds each. Stir to mix.
4. Pulse another 2 times for a few seconds each then pour into a bowl and set aside.
5. Repeat the process with the balance of walnuts and coconut flour.
6. The texture of the ground walnuts are coarse, like meal, not flour.
7. It’s fine if there are some ungrounded nuts as they make a great addition by providing extra crunch.
1. Preheat the oven at 350F or 180C.
2. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients until well combined. For the grated carrots, add half only and reserve the the other half for the toppings.
3. Add all the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined, smooth and thick.
4. Pour batter equally into 2 x 8″ round shallow pans that are greased and lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 30 mins or until cooked. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Apply half the cream cheese frosting on the bottom layer of the cake and spread evenly. Top with half the reserved grated carrots.
7. Top with second layer of cake.
8. Apply the balance of cream cheese frosting on the top layer of cake and spread evenly. Dust with ground cinnamon and top with the balance of grated carrots.
keto walnut carrot cake,low carb carrot cake,low carb walnut carrot cake,lowcarbrecipeideas walnut carrot cake,healthy carrot cake,best carrot cake low carb,grain free cake,gluten free cake,wheat free cake,sugar free cake