[NEW] How to Get Flat Cake Layers 2020

How to Get Flat Cake Layers

How to Get Flat Cake Layers
Blog post with all the instructions:

Few things frustrate me more than domed cake layers with burnt edges. I make cakes QUITE often so you can imagine I like things to go smoothly especially since I’m usually filming and sharing the results. When I first started out my cakes had a very “home made” look about them, the corners were rounded and they often sagged at the edge or even drifted off to one side. The taste was good but appearances matter so I would have to trim the top off of my domed layers to get a flat top but then you end up with extra cake and lots of crumbs! Eventually I realized the problem wasn’t with the recipe but the bake itself.

When you bake cake layers the outside heats up and baked more quickly than the center, which is insulated by the rest of the batter surrounding it. So basically the outside of the cake layer bakes first; the inside of the cake layer has more time to rise and by the time the inside is set and baked through the outside is starting to dry out and burn. This is why you see so many cakes with dark edges which are not pillowy soft.

Here’s a link to buy the cake strips I use if you want to pick up a set:

————————————————————————–
ADD ME ON:
Facebook:
Instagram:
Pinterest:
Website:
make cake
How to Get Flat Cake Layers,cake strips,flat cake layers,perfect cake layers,vanilla cake,how to bake a layer cake,preppy kitchen,layer cakes,baking hacks,moist vanilla cake,moist cake,cake tips,baking tips,how to use cake strips,best way to bake cake,perfect cake,domed cake layers,soft cake layers,how to bake a cake,why is my cake burnt,best way to bake a cake,cake baking for beginners,baking basics,trim cake,cake tutorial,cake decorating

45 thoughts on “[NEW] How to Get Flat Cake Layers 2020

1. Esther Maria de la Parra says:

Great tips and well explained but……I am probably the exception, I love the toasty brown outside of the cake. It’s my favorite part of the slice. I actually leave my cakes a couple of extra minutes because I don’t like them “blonde”. But then again they are only for my family not for business. Sorry? 😉

2. Daenaeris Tartigrade says:

I found this a day late after making a 3-tiered Galaxy cake that domed. It would have been so pretty to level them out like this instead of having to cut off the top and around the cakes. I'm getting some of these because I've never heard of cake strips in MY LIFE!! And I'm instantly subbing!

3. jag atx says:

Mine weren't baked all the way through…the bottoms were a lil gooey. They sprang back in the middle and I tested with a toothpick, but I will use a skewer next time to see just how long it takes to bake four 6" rounds in a 27" oven with cake strips. I did these for 30 minutes and checked and they weren't done, so I kept going and ended up adding 20 more minutes. I have an oven thermometer in my oven so I know the temp was correct. Sad. 🙁

4. Moui Lam says:

I was so excited for this! I even sat on the kitchen floor gazing at the oven and watching the cake rise perfectly without a dome! BUTTTT when I took my 6inch pans out it was noticeably still wobbly!! So I put it in longer and longer and then I grew impatient and took the foils off and the cake stuck to the sides and my top was hard. Biggest cake fail ever.. normally my 6inch pans bake in 25-30 minutes at 350… how long do you suggest I bake for using the foil strips?

5. Wayne Howells says:

Nice. Definitely making this one. I’ll try the sour cream as well, I usually just fold in whipped whites but sour cream looks good to. I’ll do three like you, one with cream fresh, one with folded whites and the other with nothing and try them all out👌 Thanks again.

6. J Len says:

I tried the cake strip with aluminium foil instead and it fell apart in the oven
    Its difficult to get a firm wrap around especially if you have a fan oven as the strips fly away from the cake. This meant it didn't make a difference so wouldn't recommend.