Battenberg cake recipe without a Battenberg tin | First time making a Battenberg cake 🙂

Likes: – Dislikes:

Hello folks!

Support my wee channel (only if you want 🙂

Welcome back to What’s For Tea 🙂 and today I made a Battenberg cake! This very British cake looks amazing and tastes lovely too…if you don’t like almonds, leave out the almonds and cover the cake in fondant indeed of the marzipan. Easier than you’d think to make this look decent!

Everything I used will be mentioned below incase you want to make it for yourself. Thanks for stopping by,

-Cheryl x

____________________________________________________________________

What I used (Serves 6) made in a 20cm square cake tin

3/4 cup (170g) Butter, softened
3/4 cup (150g) Caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup (125g) Plain/all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (50g) Almond flour (ground almonds)
1 1/4 tsp (5g) Baking powder
1/4 tsp (1g) Salt
2 tbsp (30ml) Milk
1 tsp (5g) Almond or vanilla extract
A touch of red food colouring gel

Additional ingredients:

3/4 cup (180g) apricot jam
1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
500g (around 17oz) Block of ready to roll marzipan or fondant

__________________________________________________________________

CONTACT ME:

New P.O. Box coming soon!

Instagram: whatsfortea3

Email…reach me here:
askwhatsfortea@outlook.com

Support my wee channel (only if you want 🙂

Want your Degustabox for £9.99? just click the link below

how to make a cake
Battenberg cake recipe,batternberg cake,easy Battenberg cake,Mary berry Battenberg cake,amateur Battenberg cake,beginners Battenberg cake,first time making Battenberg cake,idiots guide Battenberg cake,Battenberg cake without a tin,no tin Battenberg,chequerboard cake,chess cake,Scottish cooking,scottish youtuber,scottish family,scotch pie recipe,traditional scottish,isle of arran food,ayrshire Scotland,what’s for dinner,what’s for tea,simple Battenberg

34 thoughts on “[NEW] Battenberg cake recipe without a Battenberg tin | First time making a Battenberg cake :) 2020

1. Nick Bowden says:

Looks amazing Cheryl. Took a little bit of skill to make it. Looks really tasty. A nice big slice with a good coffee would be very satisfying. A real tea time treat. Well anytime treat. Thanks for being brave and having a go making it. Yum x

2. Jim Willis says:

From "Eating Royally", Darren McGrady – Of course the Queen was not the only person who liked teatime. Most members of the royal family liked a good afternoon tea. Her Royal Highness the Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, loved elaborate afternoon teas. She had an office in Buckingham Palace and regularly held teas for twelve or more. In addition to the regular tea provisions, she would add several more cakes and sausage rolls. She loved Battenburg Cake and I once sent up an absolutely perfect Battenburg Cake that I had made for her tea. It was returned uneaten with instructions not to serve her “store-bought” tea cakes again. A bit of a backhanded compliment I suppose! Oh well, the chefs enjoyed it.

3. RevRon Talbot says:

It looks amazing!!!! But just listening to you makes me miss my neighbor growing up in California. She was from Scotland and after all these years she has never lost her Scottish accent. I can still hear her say, “wee bit” or “thanks for poppin’ over.”

4. Melissa Henderson says:

Cheryl, this looks so tasty. In my house, those off cuts/trimmings would have been gone before the cake was even assembled. Yummy!!! I would have thought Mr. What's for Tea or the girls would help you with the dilemma of what to do with them….. SNACK TIME!!!!!! Hope all is well for you and yours.

5. momof2 says:

Her in the US we call this checkerboard cake. It's an old recipe. The checkerboard pattern is made by making simple sheet cakes and cutting them into strips. Nicely done, I'm sure it tastes delicious ! Very pretty perfect for afternoon tea time. Marzipan or buttercream would be used. tfs 💗

6. PinkTigger33 says:

That turned our so beautiful and it looked delicious. The color on this could be changed too for a gender reveal party or someone's favorite color for a celebration or to match a wedding color, etc. This looks so fancy. Perfect for a party! When we finally get past this pandemic and can actually have parties again.